Gluten and Dairy free Orange and Almond cake
• 1 orange
• 1 lemon
• 100ml Granary Oil rapeseed oil
• 200g caster sugar
• 4 large eggs
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 175g ground almonds
• 2 tsp baking powder
• icing sugar to dust
• honey (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C / 160 Fan and line a cake tin with baking parchment round cake tin or square brownie tin both work well)
2. Rinse the lemon and orange, place in a pan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for approx. half an hour or until soft.
3. Drain and cool the lemon and orange. Cut open the orange, remove any pips and pop the whole thing (skin and pulp) in a food processor. Cut the lemon open and remove all the pips and pulp and only put the skin in the food processor. Blitz to a puree
4. Beat the oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla together until light and fluffy. Fold in the almonds and orange and lemon puree, then the baking powder, and mix well.
5. Put the mix in your time and bake for approximately 45 minutes until golden brown. It is a very moist cake so a skewer should come out clean(ish) when don
6. Leave to cool, then drizzle with honey (optional), dust with icing sugar and serve.
This cake is great to make in advance as the orange and lemon puree keeps the cake moist.